Common Household Items Poisonous to Pets

When it comes to keeping our pets safe, knowing what everyday items can harm them is essential. There are quite a few common household items that are dangerous to pets, especially for those living in Rye, NH. If you ever suspect your pet has come into contact with any of these items, it’s important to act quickly. Sagamore Animal Hospital in Rye, NH, is here to help. You can reach out to us at (603) 431-8785 for guidance or to schedule an appointment. Our goal is to keep your pets safe and healthy by providing you with the knowledge you need.

cats with lily

Foods That Can Harm Your Pet

Many of us know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but there are other foods in our kitchens that can be just as dangerous. Foods like grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic can cause serious health issues for our pets. Even small amounts of these foods can lead to big problems. If your pet eats any of these, it’s important to call Sagamore Animal Hospital right away.

Coffee and Caffeine

Coffee, tea, and other caffeine-containing products can be very harmful to pets. Caffeine can cause pets to feel restless, have heart palpitations, and even lead to seizures. Keeping all caffeine products out of reach is the best way to prevent any accidents.


Xylitol is a sweetener often found in sugar-free gum, candies, and some peanut butters. It’s extremely toxic to dogs and can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar and liver failure. Always check the labels of sugar-free products to ensure they’re safe around your pets.

Household Chemicals

Not only foods but also many common household chemicals are poisonous to pets. Cleaning products, antifreeze, and rodent baits can be enticing to pets but are incredibly dangerous. Storing these products where pets can’t reach them and using pet-safe alternatives whenever possible is a good practice.


Antifreeze, often used in cars, contains ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to pets even in small quantities. Its sweet taste can attract pets, leading to rapid kidney failure if ingested. Always clean up any spills immediately and store antifreeze containers securely.

Rodent Baits

Rodent baits are designed to attract and kill rodents but can have the same fatal attraction to pets. These baits can cause internal bleeding, seizures, and death in pets. If you need to use these products in your home, place them in areas completely inaccessible to your pets and consider alternative pest control methods.

Plants That Are Toxic to Pets

Many plants that are common in homes and gardens in Rye, NH, can be harmful to pets. Lilies, for example, are extremely toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. Sago palm, tulips, and azaleas are also dangerous and can have serious health effects on pets. Always research plants before bringing them into your home or planting them in your garden to ensure they are safe for pets.


Especially toxic to cats, ingesting even a small part of a lily can lead to severe kidney damage. It’s best to avoid having lilies in the house if you have cats.

Sago Palm

Sago palm is toxic to all pets, causing symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and even liver failure. They’re popular in outdoor gardens but should be kept away from pets’ reach.

Contact Sagamore Animal Hospital with Any Pet Safety Questions

Ensuring your home is safe for pets means keeping an eye out for these common household dangers. If you’re worried your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t have, please call Sagamore Animal Hospital in Rye, NH, at (603) 431-8785. We’re here to provide the care your pet needs. Keeping your pet safe is a team effort, and we’re a part of your team.

Recent Posts

About Us

We're proud to have many long-time staff members at our hospital who get along like family and treat their patients and clients the same. The compassion and commitment of our veterinarians and staff make our team a reliable, trusted partner for you and your pet.